The lighthouse of Saint Joseph on the north shore of Lake Michigan
The lighthouse of Saint Joseph on the northern coast is located at the point where the river St Joseph flows into Lake Michigan.
Lake Michigan is one of the five Great Lakes of the United States and it is the only one that belongs exclusively to their territory. The name Michigan is a French adaptation of the Amerindian name « Ojibwe », which means « many waters ».
©Tom Gill- https://www.flickr.com/photos/lapstrake/8419441036/in/set-72157632638721825
The signaling system of the northern coast of the city of Saint Joseph has two lighthouses: an external lighthouse (the St. Joseph North Pier Lighthouse Outer) turned on for the first time in 1906, and an internal one (the St. Joseph North Pier Lighthouse Inner) turned on for the first time in 1907.
©Tom Gill- https://www.flickr.com/photos/lapstrake/6779226243/
The external lighthouse measures about 10 feet high and it is a cylindrical column on top of which there is a round room containing the light that illuminates at 180 °.
The internal lighthouse is an octagonal column placed on a square building. Its light illuminates at 270 °.
These two buildings are both operational. At their feet a pier allows visitors to admire the scenery.
The two lighthouses are located in a place wrought by wind and waves, but the external lighthouse is more exposed than the other. Each year winter frost causes the formation of huge ice stalactites that decorate the exterior of the lighthouses. The photographer Tom Gill has made wonderful pictures of this phenomenon.
©Tom Gill- https://www.flickr.com/photos/lapstrake/5307189528/in/set-72157628420938737